Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Alphabet Dating

I dont know how long y'all have been with your spouse/significant other...for some of you its longer than Todd and I and for some of it less. Todd and I have been together for 9 years now...married 8 and a half...had kids for most of that time too. And while its wonderful and we are very happy in our life together and I have nothing (okay well some little things but nothing serious) to complain about, we sometimes get stuck in a rut. Caught up in work and chores and kids and family activities our dates are sometimes mundane despite being enjoyable time together.

Many of you know I am an avid reader. I just finished a book called Alphabet Weekends (if you are a reader I recommend it, not GREAT, but cute and quirky, a romance novel, blah, blah, blah). In this book two old friends are at crossroads in their lives and the guy invents this game in which they must spend each weekend doing something together but in alphabetical order...in the book its like A for abseiling, B for ballet, C for canoeing...etc.

So while we dont have whole weekends or often even whole nights to date Todd and I are alphabet dating (if you are guy and reading this, don't give him a hard time, my idea, my begging, my kick you will receive if you make him complain anymore than he already is). Each week one of us will have the assigned letter and have to plan something - whoever's week it is gets to decide the night (around the rest of the schedule), arrange the babysitter if needed, and plan the evening. It can be an outing or something we do together after the kids go to bed.

I know I sound like I have lost my mind and that I probably have you laughing right now but thats ok. I think it will encourage us to think outside the box and not just do dinner and a movie once every 3 months! And if it flops, well it flops but every once in awhile you have to be a little nuts right?

So stay tuned for alphabet updates.

No comments: