Monday, April 7, 2008

Missed lessons...

This one is for mom's and dad's mainly but those without kids yet - take notes! Or those that have grown kids - advice much needed.

Have you ever had one of those moments when a good lesson could be learned but it came up so fast and in the "wrong place" that you totally missed it?!?

Yesterday Tori and I, along with the rest of her brownie troop and a couple of moms went to see the Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley at Ruth Eckerd Hall. Of course being my little reader she must read the playbill and is interested in each character. So the first character (Flat Stanley himself) has this ok career with random performances, its his first national tour, degrees from theatre colleges, etc. Then it says he would like to thank his husband and family for their support.

My daughter leans over and says "Mom hes a guy, why does he have a husband, guys have wives."

Let's talk about the lessons that could have come out of this - diversity, embracing differences, tolerance, what we believe, why sometimes others dont live the same lives we do, how God made each of us different and thats awesome, appreciating people for who they are, etc.

Know what I said - "hmmm that is different." Because in the moment all I could think was how do I explain sexuality without explaining sex? And what if what I say does not line up with the parents thinking of the kid on my other side whose parent is not here but is listening intently? How do you know what is enough information at a certain age and what is too much? Good lord the other day I explained publicly traded companies to my 7 yr old...then I wonder why she knows things beyond her years!

Why again, dont kids come with a handbook?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

We educators call those 'teachable moments'- and so often they come at inopportune times!! I don't have any advice...it just reminds me of the teachable moment in the grocery store with Ian not too long ago...life is full of lessons that need to be taught...and it's always the hard ones, the ones that are the most potent, that blindside you.