Thursday, April 17, 2008

Compassion vs Cynicism

As someone who believes in Jesus Christ and the way he lived being a guide to the way we should live compassion is one of those traits I strive to have. Not only to have but to overflow with so that others can see that in me. And I would say that this is one of those things that has been easier for me in my walk with Jesus than other traits...like patience for example.

But the more hours I put it in at work the harder it becomes. When you spend hours a day (especially when its one your body is screaming GO TO BED) with people who drink too much, ingest insanely large amounts of Rx meds/cocaine/heroine/meth/pot/ecstasy, beat up the people they are closest too, slice themselves up with knives and peirce themselves with pins it is easy to put up this wall of cynicism. It just seems easier to think in abstracts of dumb people doing dumb things than people crying out for help they can't find and out of loneliness they can't fill!

So I write so that those of you reading this, that I call friends but especially those of you who also call yourself a follower of Christ, will be a constant reminder to keep my heart in check. To pray for these people I meet and offer them the best I have instead of just doing my job. Accountability is an odd thing. Sometimes you just get it and dont want it...and sometimes you have to search for it because otherwise its too easy to hide from in places noone else could even begin to know to look. So this is my request for accountability...that you will remind me that what I do I do because I want to help people. That people are people no matter what bad choices they make.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

While we don't always see eye to eye on religious matters, I do see your point, and I am here for you. You are a wonderful person, and I know that you will continue to great things for all the people whose paths you cross. Even if they are a bit scary at times! Hugs, J