Friday, August 1, 2008

School Supplies

So yesterday before the kids and I went school shopping we were chatting with a friend. She is in the earlier phases of motherhood still (aka under age 2) and has just one super sweet little boy. Now I would like to acknowledge that this age is hard and can be expensive with all the diapers and random toys and what not. So I made a comment about how much "back to school" costs these days and she said "Oh no we got a backpack and all sorts of stuff in it for under $20!" And then I laughed.

So here's my thing - its not really school "supplies" that cost alot of money. The glue sticks and notebooks and crayons and pencils are so cheap right now. Its like Christmas with cheaper items. But the huge list we get has all sorts of other stuff on it that does not get marked down.

For example Tristan needed a package of white tees, 2 boxes of Kleenex, a pump bottle of Hand Sanitizer, foaming soap in dispenser, container of unscented wet wipes, and a nap mat. Please note this is before the lunch box and backpack and the above mentioned real supplies AND the 25.00 enrichment check I have to write to the school on the first day for art/cooking supplies. Now multiple x 2 kids and add a 5.00 check for the mandatory "planner" kids in grades 1-5 must have.

Now I realize that I make choices for my kids to be active in things and so some of the cost is by choice. But really isn't that what you do for you kids? So back to school incurs those costs mentioned above but it also is the start of another swim season, brownie year, and soccer season - all of which have fees, supplies, volunteer hour deposits, etc.

So on that bright note - those of you that have school age kids - please commiserate with me how while the kids are excited (and of course you're excited with them) about all the cool stuff they get to take with them that first day, I am slightly less excited about the number it does on my bank account. Those of you that have young kids - know that they don't get cheaper. Those of you with no kids - I highly recommend having some but until you do save your money.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Found you through Angelle - I feel your pain. We have bought nap mat (two, because our school requires two inches), lunch bag, water bottle to match lunch bag, and we're about to get into the other stuff (wipes, etc...). Found a deal on crayons at the grocery store and snatched them up; heading to Walmart for the rest this weekend.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.