Thursday, February 14, 2008

Remember when...

you were little and you had a friend over to play? And you would disappear into the backyard or your bedroom and you would play for hours with each other so thankful that you had someone of your age, gender and that liked the things you liked over? And your mom would do her own thing. And your sibling would play happily somewhere else.

Okay so thats how I remember playdates. I think I blocked out the reality.

The kids have friends over who want to play something they dont and then they have to have a big discussion that I usually have to step into. Then I reexplain for the nth about compromise - play one thing for a while then the other. Then the child who does not have a friend over is "soooooo bo-red". Its funny how bored becomes two words when whined!

So I teach compromise, come up with fun things to do with a friend, entertain the bo-red one and get NOTHING done. Meanwhile the dog is running circles around everyone.

And as I drop the child off or they get picked up the next question is always "when can we have another playdate?"

Off to find some Advil.

No comments: