Thursday, March 19, 2009

One Beat Up Mama

Do you ever have those moments when your kids break your hearts and at the same time you want to clobber them? I mean not really but you know...well if you are a parent you know.

So here's the deal:
Yesterday Tristan gets in the car and starts sobbing moments later, completely unprovoked. So I asked him what happened and he had gotten in trouble and put on yellow (red is bad, yellow is warning, green is good) for behavior for the first time ever. No yellows last year, none this year. He said he was playing cops and robbers at playtime and swung a stick in the classroom. He denied hitting anyone. So we talked about it - talked about making better decisions and I chose not to punish him further because he was already distraught about the yellow light.

Fast forward to today...he gets in the car. Unprovoked starts crying...so again I ask what the problem is to which he says "You and daddy fight because daddy wants a house and you don't and that makes me sad." Um what?!?

Brief interjection - Todd and I would both like a house, we do have differing opinions on what said house should look like, cost, and when it should be purchased. Did in fact argue over a specific house approx 3 weeks ago. I am not the perfect wife or the perfect mother and so yes I fight with Todd once in awhile and once in awhile we slip and fight in front of the kids. But can I just say this threw me for a huge loop! Todd and I are in one of the highs of our marriage I think...not fighting much, enjoying the time we spend together, etc. And the whole house thing happened weeks ago - what does it have to do with today and yesterday?

Ok so back to today. Apparently Tristan talked while the teacher was talking during music today so he had to sit out a song. I am not condoning this behavior either for the record. So his teacher asked whats going on? To which he says he replied "I dont know." Then his teacher asked if something was going on at home - to which he gave the above response.

So here is my issue - Tristan has made a couple of bad decisions but neither of them seem particularly huge. Not good, and he should be talked too...but very typical 6 yr old boy kind of things. But how does a teacher jump from that to something going on at home. And even more so why have I not heard from this teacher? She made no contact - no phone call, no email, no note. Nothing.

If there is something else going on and that made her come to that conclusion I need to know about it! If not I think Tristan was given an opening and ran with it which kept him off of yellow today...

Do you think I am overreacting or do you think this something is odd about this whole deal?

Oh and then there was accident that made me pick Tori up ten minutes late because I sat in deadlocked traffic forever and she had to wait after Battle of the Books practice. After a long day at work and these two afternoon episodes I am nominating myself for loser mother of the day...

But tomorrow is Friday right? Thats gotta bring something good...

2 comments:

Angelle said...

What a tough day! I know what you mean about them breaking your heart. I hate when things affect them more than you realize.

As far as the whole teacher thing, I really don't think it is too much of a thing. If I were her (is that proper grammar?), I may have asked the same question and not have been too concerned with the same answer. Especially if I knew the family and the kid was a particularly good kid (never having been on yellow before is a pretty good!).

Carydip said...

Maybe a talk with the teacher wouldn't hurt. Sounds like this good little boy isn't used to getting in trouble and it really upsets him. I think you guys are doing GREAT and am sure you shield your kids from too much friction. As for being a bad mom-GIVE ME A BREAK!! Love~Mom