Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Calm before the storm

I had one of those days where I feel like every 5 minutes I had to be somewhere - picking up, dropping off, appts, meeting at work, etc. Which is unusual for a summer day. Anyway so I snuck in my house as the clouds blackened above and the wind started picking up. There was this amazing calm in the air...you just stood there watching the wind blow and the trees dance and the birds seek cover. Of course my kids want in so I unlock the door and moments later the powers out, the storm is fully raging, the wind doesn't seem as much pleasant as vicious and of course its raining in sheets.

Funny how life is so like this from the big to the little. Kids that are getting along one second and fighting the next, traffic thats steady to jammed in mere moments, marriages that seem rock solid split in two before one even realizes there were problems. In the past year we have known three people, all under the age of 45 that were just going about their lives...doing the same things we do everyday...only to find out that they were battling lymphoma, breast cancer and brain cancer.

Do you ever get scared that maybe something is too good? Like if you have too much peace in your life you must just be getting some kind of calm before a storm? I dont think this makes me a worrier...I am not playing what ifs in my head. I simply wonder sometimes what God is preparing me for? If the next trial is not just around the corner and if I am truly using this rest...to well rest. Funny that the thought of resting better makes me want to do more.

While I may not know if their is a storm brewing in my life at any given time. Today I am thankful for the calm...for the many blessings I have in my life.

1 comment:

Grace said...

scary that you wrote this blog-you described exactly how I feel...much better then I ever could!
We are blessed,many of us in the same ways, others in different areas.My blogger friend Angie has a line I love to use...God doesn't waste pain.