Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First Day 2011

It was with a bit of melancholy and a bit of joy that I sent the kids off to school this year. With my current work schedule the summer flew by way too fast and I got to hang out with them way less than I would have liked. And while every year I think "I can't believe they are in ___ grade already," this year it hit home like never before.

My baby girl started middle school. She is less the little girl who wants cuddles and playtime and instead is growing into this young woman who wants to have coffee dates, show me the boy she thinks is cute and wear make up to school. She shaves her legs and shops at stores in the junior section. And quite frankly this mama is not ready. And while I am proud, so so proud, of the amazing woman she is becoming, it scares the hell out of me.

But what would life be without growth. And this is what I believe parenting is - teaching your kid to make it without you. And so she went, on the bus for the first time, to the big bad world of middle school. New haircut, new outfit, even some new attitude. And she did well. She had fun, she dealt while her schedule got changed four (YES FOUR!) times, and she is ready for a new year in a new place and new adventures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And Tristan started 3rd grade. The second 1/2 of elementary school. You know the one where you want your mom to drop you off in car circle NOT walk you in. And you definitely do NOT want her to take pictures at the school. And you definitely CAN pick out your own first day of school outfit and you will wear the shoes with skulls on it because they are "awesome." And you want the notebook with baseballs on it, not that boring blue one. And you got this, because you've done it before. And he, too, had a great first day!

Photobucket

I was not the mom that cried on the first day of kindergarten. And I always thought those moms were a teensy bit crazy dramatic emotional. But those moms that cry when their kids go off to college...well I am starting to get that.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

They are such awesome little people (nope, not kids anymore) and I love the pictures. P.S. Don't think less of me for being one of those crazy, dramatic, emotional moms when mine go off to kindergarten, because you KNOW I'm going to be one of them!

carydip said...

What beautiful pictures, what beautiful kids! I know, I kept wishing that mine would stop growing. But now I'm watching the Grandbabies grow up! Love~Grama