Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happiness Project Month 1: Energy Boost

So according to the writer in month 1 she set certain goals and pursued them to see if they would in fact make her happier. So here's the goals she put forward and my comments on how my January actually coincided with these goals...

1. Go to sleep earlier
2. Exercise better
3. Toss, restore, organize
4. Tackle a nagging task
5. Act more energetic

1 - Nope. The kids go to bed at 8:30. I work for another hour or to on laundry, returning emails, getting stuff ready for next day, picking up living room, etc. Then I need to unwind. So I stay up reading or watching tv or just hanging out with Todd and the next thing ya know - bam - its midnight. And then I lay there with a running list in my head because I am not the girl whose head hits the pillow and shes out. So 12:30 or so I fall asleep...which would not be so bad except my alarm goes off at 5:30 most mornings. Mission: Failed. Goal: Work on it - more sleep sounds good!

2 - Nope. Lets see horrible stomach flu followed by a week of vacation and a week of catching up from said vacation and a week of sick kids. Did not go well. Mission: Failed. Goal - Work on it - Have an exercise date Tues morning, partners are a beautiful thing when working out!

3 - Yep. The reality that we could have had to move in a month hit hard and fast - so I am a lot more organized and a lot of crap got tossed this month. Unfortunately the move is off but the current place looks better! Mission: Success. Goal - Attic next!

4 - Yep. I cleaned out my pantry. This is like the nightmare of all nightmares in our house, things go in and never come out. So now its clean, and cans are lined up. And there is new tupperware. Mission: Momentary but happiness still achieved. I love organization.

5 - Eh. I work in a psych ward. It is my job, literally, to be positive and empathetic and understanding. To encourage people. So I do. Sometimes this means patients and sometimes this means coworkers. Then I come home and it is my job to encourage and support my kids and husband and so I do. I have moments, mostly with Todd, in which I am tired and crabby so...Mission: Mostly achieved. Goal - who could not use more energy? To me energy is positive - negative energy - I call that something else. So yeah more would be good, but I think in general it works.

January Happiness - I got to take a break from real life with Todd, that was wonderful. My kids are doing awesome in school. We are living comfortably. All make me happy. Losing the house we loved - kind of tough but life goes on. Sickness - yucky. Rain - yucky. Work - stressful right now, lots of changes/understaffing. Nothing that will not pass - the sun will shine soon, we will find the right house, the sickness usually clears with the weather and work will hire people and all will be well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw the nice mention of my blog, The Happiness Project, here. I very much appreciate those kind words and you shinning a spotlight on my work. Thanks and best wishes,
Gretchen