Monday, April 2, 2012

A Return to the Kitchen

Remember this post where my skills in the kitchen came into question and ultimately failed?

Well in an attempt to eat at home more, to lose weight for the umpteenth time, and for overall general healthiness I got back in the figurative saddle again. And with the help of pinterest, a few food network hints, and a few you tube tutorials I am trying new recipes.

And the funniest thing has happened...I have had success. Would I call myself a cook? NO! As compared to some of my friends (Hi Rhiannon! Angelle! Laurie!) am I still the Chef Boyardee in a room full of Emerils? YES!

But progress is progress.

And I have been fairly versatile thus far...some apps/sides, some meals, some desserts, some super easy kid friendly and some less so! So far:

- oven baked fried pickles (yum)
- chocolate mint brownies (yum)
- crispy southwest wraps (eh - good idea, need to add more flavors next time)
- lemon cookies (i vote yum, everyone else was an eh)
- carmelitas (to die for!)
- slow cooker honey sesame chicken (double yum - big favorite)
- green chili sauce enchildads (double yum)
- ham and cheese sliders (double yum)
- slow cooker baked potato soup (yum)
- salted caramel butter bars (if heaven had a flavor this might be it!)

And right now in my oven is a honey BBQ meatloaf with garlic parmesan baked fries. I am not usually a meatloaf fan but I make chicken about 5 nights a week and we need something different!!

1 comment:

Angelle said...

Soooooo... when are we getting together again so I can try those salted caramel butter bars.? I died a little when I read that.